QE arrives for Greece
Personal responsibility and public healthcare: Greece on a wing and a prayer
What's behind Erdogan's decision to wave migrants through to Greece?
After the tweetstorm - Tracing the course of #IStandWithGreece
Sealing our borders, closing our minds
Losing game: Another doomed effort to revive Greek football?
Election Watch: Greek voters to choose from 19 parties and coalitions
Greek voters will have 19 ballot papers to chose from on 20 September following the approval by the Supreme Court for 14 parties and 5 coalitions to contest the election.
In an announcement on Friday, the court also rejected the applications from seven parties and five election candidates.
The court had received a total of 24 applications, from 19 parties and five coalitions, to contest the elections on 20 September.
The list of unapproved parties contains no surprises and includes the royalist National Hope as well as the Hellenic Direct Democracy Movement, which had sought to run as the Greek Antimemorandum Front (EAM).
Also excluded is the Independent Innovative Left, Renewed Right, Renewed PASOK, Renewed New Democracy, No to War, Party of Business ‘I Give Away Land, I Give Away Debts, I Save Lives,’ Panagriarian Workers Movement of Greece (PAEKE) party, which took one vote in the last general election in January.
List of approved parties and coalitions (in alphabetical order, with outgoing parties in bold)
* Anticapitalist Left Cooperation for the Overthrow (ANTARSYA)/Workers Revolutionary Party–Trotskyists (EEK)
* Communist Party of Greece (KKE) (led by Dimitris Koutsoubas)
* Communist Party of Greece (Marxist-Leninist)/Marxist Leninist Communist Party of Greece [KKE (m-l)/M-L KKE]
* Democrats/Koinonia Axion/Pirate Party of Greece
* Golden Dawn (Nikos Michaloliakos)
* Greek People’s Democratic Liberation (ELLADA) (Konstantinos Pananikolas)
* Independent Greeks–National Patriotic Democratic Alliance (Panos Kammenos)
* New Democracy (Evangelos Meimarakis)
* Organisation of Internationalist Communists of Greece (ODKE) (Sofronios Papadopoulos, Sofia Theodoropoulou, Christos Zakas)
* Organisation for the Reconstruction of the Communist Party of Greece (OAKKE) (Ilias Zafiropoulos, Dionysios Gournas, Eleni Konstantinopoulou)
* Pasok/Democratic Left (as Democratic Coalition) (Fofi Gennimata and Thanasis Theocharopoulos)
* Patriotic Union/Greek Popular Coalition (made up of the following parties: Ethnegersia, East of Greekness, National Popular Formation)
* Popular Unity (LAE) (Panagiotis Lafazanis)
* Potami (Stavros Theodorakis)
* Recreate Greece! (DX) (Thanos Tzimeros)
* Society–Political Party of the Successors of Kapodistria (Michail Iliadis)
* Syriza (Alexis Tsipras)
* Union of Centrists (Vassilis Leventis)
* United Popular Front (EPAM) (Dimitris Kazakis)
List of unapproved parties
* Democratic Party (DIKO) (Christos Anagnostou)
* Hellenic Direct Democracy Movement (Giorgos Kokkas)
* Independent Innovative Left, Renewed Right, Renewed PASOK, Renewed New Democracy, No to War, Party of Business ‘I Give Away Land, I Give Away Debts, I Save Lives,’ Panagriarian Workers Movement of Greece (PAEKE) (Miltiadis Tzalazidis)
* National Hope (Giorgios Papadopoulos)
* Thesmos (Spyridon Antoniou)
In addition, the application from another coalition, AKKEL-LEFKO, make up of the Agricultural Breeders Party of Greece (AKKEL), the Popular Unions of Bipartisan Social Groups (LEFKO) and Burning-Hot Greece was rejected as it was received after the deadline. Burning-Hot Greece contested the January election with Independent Greeks and had one of its members, Kostas Zouraris, returned as an MP.
*Damian Mac Con Uladh is a freelance journalist. You can follow him on Twitter: @damomac